Summary and Info
This book is the one to get if you're starting to learn Spanish. Unlike other books out there this one has the following attributes:
- introduces new concept at a measured pace, without overwhelming the user
- the concepts are explained in succinct, clear and not overly verbose way, but yet provide all the essential information
- the exercises are reinforcing the concepts just introduced in a perfect way, with short sentences that deal specifically with that concept
- the correct completion of exercises is provided at the end of the book for verification
- unlike the "Practice Makes Perfect" books, this one does not confuse you with telling you to identify whether the sentence is right or wrong, instead you are an active participant in building the sentences, so you start to immerse yourself in the language right away
- exercises usually require insertion of the correct word into short sentences, so that you don't have to deal with deciphering whole stories in your first few days of study, like other books try to make you do.
- the vocabulary is added at the right rate, so that the old words are constantly reinforced, and the number of new words is not overwhelming, and frustrating you
- almost all new words are defined for you, so you don't have to necessarily look them up every time, although I do anyways, for expanded definitions, and usage examples
I recommend that you translate and learn every single word you encounter, since some words do not work and mean the same as English similar sounding words. Also, don't assume that you'll get it out of the context, because you won't.
This book can be learned in about a month or two of study, if you devote extra time to it.
One advice about how to memorize the new vocabulary is to write all, I mean all the sentences on paper, not just in your head visually. Also, to practice new words, I write them down in capital letters several times in a row, until the spelling reinforces itself in my mind. That way you engage your visual memorization, which in my case works wonders, allowing me to memorize up to 300 words a week.
Review and Comments
Rate the Book
Basic Spanish: A Grammar and Workbook (Grammar Workbooks) (English and Spanish Edition) 0 out of 5 stars based on 0 ratings.